Friday, February 22, 2008

Spending the day at William & Mary

I have spent my entire collegiate life in the community college system, but I am now on the verge of making the jump to a real school. This is scary business. I'm trying not to be intimidated by 18-year-old over-achievers. I realize that I've got some very different things to offer whatever school I attend, and I have to have confidence that schools recognize that fact. I can promise any school that after spending a year as a wastewater treatment plant operator, I have nothing but pure motivation to succeed. As a matter of fact, I recommend making kids who are unsure of their future track to spend a year working in the wastewater treatment field. It probably would not take a year to give them the kick in the butt they need to find a direction. School is better than poo. I remember being a little kid thinking how old and mature college students seemed. Make no mistake, they are children. It might actually be better to spend a year or ten pursuing something utterly unattainable to make most people realize how lucky they are to have school as an option. Some folks are born smart. ...not me.

No comments: