Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Computer labs are the cafeterias of technology.

I'd like a scoop of Word please; ...ooooh, and the Excel looks nice and hot. Some people like their Internet with a dash of Explorer, but I prefer Mozilla. Mozilla is a healthy alternative to Explorer with no trans fat! mmmm. Sonya and I have decided that KFC was better with trans fat. Computer labs are quiet, but the keystrokes do sound like rapid aggressive chewing. Also, the "I.T." folks that work in the lab are the lunch-ladies of technology. They are not very qualified for their jobs, and you're not at all convinced they didn't spit in your keyboard! I over heard one of the lunch-ladies "assisting" a student yesterday, and it went something like this:
I.T.: "So what seems to be the problem?"
student: "I tried to save my work, but the computer froze and now my work is gone. Is there anyway to retrieve it?"
I.T.:"Oh no, you shouldn't have done that. I'm afraid you're out of luck. You need to back-up your work more often."
student: "That's what I was trying to do!"
Just like for all those who hold public positions, it is often better to avoid responsibility by blaming the victim. Lastly, the surest way to stay out of trouble in a computer lab is just like filling your tray in the cafeteria. Keep it simple, and stick with the prepackaged stuff if at all possible. Enjoy.

No comments: