Monday, February 25, 2008

Building Stairs




















I realize that "Building Stairs" could be a great metaphore, but I'm really just building stairs. Thankfully, there are so many standards in the builing trades that you don't really have to think too hard. I thought I was gonna get to use my skills in trigonometry when I started building the handrail. I thought, "OK, the steps are 10.5" long and 6.5" tall, so the inverse tan of (6.5/10.5) is about 31.8 degrees." I got out my protractor and started marking out my cuts for the hand rails when I saw all these notches on the adjustments for my circular saw and my compound mitre saw. "By golly, that angle is already marked on the saw!" I think I actually sounded like Jim Nabors when I said it. Has anybody else noticed that Mike Huckabee looks exactly like Jim Nabors? Most people don't like trig, but I love it. I really wanted to get good use of it. I use it every dang day in school, but somehow the good folks at Dewalt robbed me of a good chance to use it in real life! Oh well.
Calculus II update: I got a 90 on my test!

3 comments:

Aunt So-So said...

By golly, you're right! And congratulations on the 90!

LMP said...

Maybe you can go work for Dewalt.

jdrueke said...

Your handle might be limp, your replies ain't!

....

Ok, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Where's picture of the stairs? It isn't there.