Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Hitting Homeruns

It was brought to my attention that it's confusing when I post on Sonya's blog, so here's my update on housework. You can refer to my to-do list from Children of a Lesser Dog. So... anyway, I can scratch several items of my list after today. First, I'm just about done with the gate for the deck. I need to get a latch and it'll be all done. I'm pretty proud of the gate because it was my first attempt at actual joinery. I used an end lap joint reinforced with four galvanized screws at each corner. The span of the gate is pretty wide, so I needed a system that would prevent the gate from sagging out of square. The gate is attached to a handrail post which could be pulled out of plumb by the torque of the gate in the closed position, so I made a foot to keep the gate from dropping too far. The latch should keep the gate level when it's closed. After I finished the gate, I made my new hose storage. It looks pretty cool, and I got rid of some scrap wood. I may still make a lid. The reel on the side of the house never gets used because it leaks and its a pain to use. It's just so much easier to coil a hose.Once that was complete, I got to work on the lattice. I finally devised a system for cutting that garbage. Lattice is tricky stuff to cut even with a circular saw.I still had a couple fence slats to make from the fence repair we did a few months back. All I really needed to do was cut the dog-ears with my miter saw.After all that was done, I cleaned most of the scrap out of the garage. I swept, I vacuumed, and I drank a beer. It's been a good day.

1 comment:

Aunt So-So said...

Kudos! The gate on the deck rocks - It makes the perfect jail cell for the dogs. They can enjoy the weather, and we can keep bunnies alive in the backyard and keep our home from smelling like dog.