Friday, June 27, 2008

The Physicist Who Snubbed Me


One of the really fun things about taking Linear Algebra is the illusion it presents me with the slightest ability to understand String Theory. Dr. Derise had just let us out for a ten minute break, and I decided to read on to the next chapter. The chapters always begin with a brief biography of famous mathematicians, and this chapter began with Emmy Noether. She was a highly important figure from the 1930s who fled to the US from Germany to escape Hitler.
Her bio reminded me of a famous physicist I recently learned about named Lisa Randall. She is doing amazing work with String Theory, and the NY Times article about her describes some pretty fascinating stuff. I was attempting to talk to my brother about some of her work over our dinner at the Butcher Block Buffet in Stephens City, VA. To my astonishment, I discovered that topics like these are best discussed in locations without children, children's magicians, or buffets. Anyway, my Linear Algebra professor has an incomprehensible depth of knowledge about mathematics and the people who practice it, so I asked him if he knew of Lisa Randall. Of course, he had, and better than that, she snubbed him! He saw her at Princeton, and attempted to ask her a question about mathematics, or physics, or something crazy of the like. Thinking he might just be a weirdo, she ignored him.
He then began to tell me of another important physicist who also gave him the cold shoulder. He asked me if I'd heard of Edward Witten. I actually had!! I've seen him in Brian Greene's NOVA documentary The Elegant Universe. Also, my good friends Christopher Aubin and Corbett Bazler have met Dr. Witten. He is almost more famous for his strangely falsetto speaking voice. Dr. Derise wanted to ask Dr. Witten what E8 means. E8 is one of those terms that string theorists throw around. It describes the dimensionality of the mathematics of string theory. Dr. Derise was brazen enough to simply ask Dr. Witten, "What is E8?". Dr. Witten answered with a series of terms that would produce spontaneous combustion of the average person's brain. Dr. Derise, being very cavalier, pressed Dr. Witten for further explanation. Dr. Witten turned and walked away. Ouch.
Doesn't he just look like a big teddy bear?
I have test #3 in Linear Algebra on Monday. Wish me luck!
Also, sorry I went so link-crazy, but do check out the links!

2 comments:

Topher said...

He looks like a big child molesting teddy bear, I'll tell you...:)

LMP said...

I'm glad you linked E8 because until I spent a bunch of company time reading up on it just now, I assumed it was a vitamin.