Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'm a Big Baby


I got my grade back on test two, and I don't feel too good about it. I was telling myself, that if I didn't score at least ten points more on this test than the last test, I would drop the class. I got a 72 on the first test and a 71 on this test. I approached the professor to let him know I enjoy the class, but I need to drop it. I long ago met my quota for college screw-ups. He then spent twenty minutes telling me not to drop, he hasn't yet applied the curve to test #2, and that I probably have at least an 82 on the test. He also told me that there is certainly nobody better than me in the class, and he would go home depressed if I dropped. He also assured me, as long as I keep up with my studies the way that I have been, I would receive no worse than a B in the class. I still don't feel great about an 82, but I feel fantastic having that kind of support from my professor. This is my first exposure to truly abstract applications of mathematics, and I find it exceedingly interesting and excruciatingly difficult, but I am confident that completing this 300 level math course will be infinitely rewarding.

3 comments:

Topher said...

Man, I feel your pain. I had a hard time when I would get in the lower 60's on exams in physics...That s**t is hard!

But hey, seriously, I'm available if you ever want to get together....I can always try to help!!!!

Aunt So-So said...

Your professor frustrates me. I don't care if he gets depressed if you drop the class. I'm sure he doesn't care that you don't see your wife on the evenings and weekends because of that course. And if you get a C in this class, I will rearrange his face.

LMP said...

Speaking as someone who currently isn't in a position to miss her husband nightly, I think your professor was trying to say it would depress him if you dropped the class because you show great promise in the subject and he would hate to see you not have your, no doubt imminent, "a-ha!" moment.

How about this - keep the class and risk failing at something that's really, really difficult that most people would never even attempt in the first place. You're challenging yourself in ways you never have before, why stop now?