Saturday, April 5, 2008

A little more thirty.


Milestones decrease after you turn 30, and instead of being fun, they are just kinda boring. Sonya and I have a joke about birthdays after you turn 30; you are just more 30 than you were before. Then you turn 40, and I guess it works the same. My mom likes to say that 55 is an important birthday, but I don't understand why. It shouldn't be any more important than 11, 22, 33, 44, etc. Maybe she's confused by the importance of 25 and 75, but those are clearly quarters of a century. She likes to put positive spins on otherwise mundane events, and maybe that's a good thing. It's easy to be cynical, and being cheery about nothing is pretty difficult. Sometimes I'm worried that she's just surprised to be alive, so every year is a big deal. Perhaps if you live your life that way, you'll never take anything for granted. I've been so stressed out and busy with school that I haven't had much time to really enjoy my free time. I feel like I'm always rushing to get my free time out of the way so I can get back to studying. It's not that I don't enjoy my free time, but I've always been the kind of person who can not sleep if I know of got unfinished business. That's the problem with school; you've always got unfinished business. Even when school gets out, I'm thinking about the next semester. I've got to order my books, refresh my memory on everything I'll need to know for my next semester of classes, and figure out how to make time for the really important people in my life. I'm always afraid that the people I love think that they don't matter to me because I spend so much time studying, but that's not the case. Hopefully, when I finally finish school, things will be different. Of course, then Sonya and I will have kids, careers, and home life, so it will be a challenge to make room for the other things that matter. We'll try our best to stay positive, and maybe after we've accomplished all of that, 55 will seem like a big deal.

1 comment:

LMP said...

In honor of this post, and it being the day after your birthday, I give you this:
http://www.someecards.com/upload/birthday_n/you_ve_reached_an_age_that_has_no_significance_at_all.html