Friday, April 11, 2008

Electric Cars

Sonya and I want a new car. I want an electric car. I know that's very Ed Begley, Jr. of me, but that's what I want. I found the car I want and it's in Canada. Zenn Motor Company is coming out with a fully electric car that has a 250 mile range, a top speed of 80 mph, and a charge time of 5 minutes. Isn't that the exact car that everybody wants? As of now this car does not meet US safety standards, and I actually think the standards are ridiculous. It's all physics. Our standards are based on big heavy cars smashing into other big heavy cars. We've got all these giant SUVs playing Hungry Hungry Hippos with little cars, so we ban the little car instead of the man-eating hippo.

There must be a way to import this car to the states, some exemption, some way to apply reason to the unreasonable. Zenn is using the ultra capacitor, and much of the buzz is so positive that it provokes skepticism. This wave of "green" automobiles currently in development is so inspiring, but as per usual, the US manufacturers seem thoroughly uninspired. The Chevy Volt could be the exception, but Chevy is too concerned with making their car look American (big and stupid) that they're missing the boat entirely. Hybrids should be considered a temporary quick fix, and they are magnificent for that purpose. Now there are better options, and that is the direction any smart, forward-thinking company would lean. So Zenn is from Canada, and I could be proud to at least buy a North American car even if that north American country is not the US.


Another interesting car is french-developed Compressed Air Technology (CATs) car designed by Moteur Development International. This car probably does meet US safety standards, and it's cheap (about $18,000.) The body is all carbon fiber, so it can be stronger than steel. There's no frame, so it's light. You'll have to read the story at the link on the CATs system because I can't explain it properly. As far as I can tell, this car runs on magic.


I'm not as excited as I once was about fuel-cell cars. Let the fuel-cells generate electricity at home, and charge your electric car with your home fuel cell. Then you can add some minerals to your fuel cell's exhaust, and make your own Evian.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Actually this is even simpler, prove that 1/n (where n != 0 and n is an element of R) that as n goes to infinity, 1/n goes to 0! Hahaha... that one is actually really cool. The bigger the number n gets the "tighter" and closer you approach 0. In this case, I think 0 becomes this thing called an accumulation point. This problem was always my favorite. You also get into things called nebhorhoods, compaction, and suprema - all really really intense advanced calc stuff. Infinite seq. and series are built upon the Real numer topology of this stuff!! Ga-douche!

On a COOLER note, went to the slip in richmond last night with my FIRST date and we hit it off REALLY good! Saw a rad richmond band at winderland called the Sort.

-G

Capt. Greg said...

Actually, that needs to be adjusted. In this case, n is actually an element of +N - the Naturals. because if n=1/2 and you plugged that bitch in the answer would be 2 which is way off from 0! So, n gets real big and goes to infinity and 1/n OR the limit as 1/n goes to infinity is equal to 0. All I care about is the proof of the limit which is the fun stuff... "no one wants to look dumb..." Ga-douche!

-G

LMP said...

That's it, I'm getting a hippo.