Tuesday, June 9, 2009

You down wit' NTSB? ...

I'm starting to learn a little more about my duties at NASA. I'm working on a joint project with the Environmental Protection Agency studying the health of the Chesapeake Bay. We're going to be outfitting a Cessna with some sensors to detect Chlorophyll using direct and reflected light, so my boss handed me the manual for the sensors and said, "try to familiarize yourself." I've been studying the manual, and I think I have a grasp on it. Tomorrow we'll be meeting the National Transportation Safety Board to review the necessary modifications to the Cessna. Happily, they don't just drill a few holes in a plane and let 'er fly without doing a little engineering. This little run-in with the NTSB makes my internship a whole lot more valuable. I'll have to defend the value of my internship in the fall, and work that actaully involves engineering is clearly a plus. I'm pretty sure the Statistics class I'm taking right now will pay big dividends before I'm even done with the class. It looks like I'll be analyzing data pretty soom; I'm suprisingly excited about it!

1 comment:

LMP said...

Whatever, I'm still telling everyone you're a rocket scientist.