Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My state went blue, but my county went red.

I don't get it. We have William & Mary, we have mixed races, I thought we had logic. How did James City County go red? Don't get me wrong; I'm ecstatic with the overall results. I drive through Charles City County everyday, and that county has the look of the typical rural red county. Nope! They voted overwhelmingly for Obama. I take back everything I ever said about Charles City County. Now I know why I always see giant bucks running around. The redneck deer hunters don't live there!! I can't believe I was actually a little nervous driving through with my Barack Obama sticker. What's more, my favorite professor of all time lives in Charles City County. I definately appreciate the great historic irony of the former confederate capital voting in the first African American President, but I'm even more appreciative of Charles City County. I drive past plantations everyday where countless african slaves toiled endlessly. Most of the plantations are surrounded by actively-worked land, but my good buddy John Deere can handle all the work by himself. No need to force entire generations to work tobacco or cotton. Now, they can vote. Now all we have to do is convince everyone that Debra Dickerson is evil so the eons-long road to national reconciliation can be complete. Listen Debra, don't try to take Barack's blackness away from him. It means too much to the rest of us!

2 comments:

Topher said...

The 'burg itself was blue, but no surprise there...Just remember: The fact that the state is blue is all that matters...And as Obama said: There are not red states or blues states...you know the rest :)

LMP said...

Hey, could be worse - my county went blue (very, very blue) but my state remains red. With no split on the electoral votes here, it's like Dekalb and Fulton counties never happened. I'm not sad, though, because my COUNTRY went blue. Now then...if we can just do something about those jagoffs voting Yes on Prop 8...(baby steps?)