Friday, July 11, 2008

There's a sucker born every minute.



I've been getting phone calls everyday from some recorded voice telling me Macy's has some "important personal business" to discuss. Since I'm not retarded, I hang up. I sent Macy's an email stating that if they do not cease from using this tactic that I would personally start boycotting their store and encourage everyone I know to do so as well. They are just dying to get me to use their useless credit card. Sonya and I use our Master Cards exclusively to purchase everything and pay our bills because they give us money. I don't need airline miles, points towards a purchase, or any other hair brained scheme. I got an email from them this morning telling me I can call the number on the message and ask them to stop calling. Wouldn't it be nicer if they asked me the last time I was at Macy's if it would be okay if they called me for promotions. I could simply chuckle and say, "of course not," and that would be the end of it! I wouldn't be getting solicitations on my dang cell phone, and I wouldn't be ranting like Andy Rooney! The whole thing made me think of the new American Express commercials with Tina Fey and Martin Scorsese. Scorsese entices Fey into the first class lounge with an "important opportunity." She gets excited thinking it's a script or something, but he's just trying to pawn off a time share. The commercial cracks me up because I picture Amex hearing the ad pitch and not even realizing the irony that their credit card offer is just as lame as a time share. Hmmm, Amex charges a fee, and Master Card gives back cash. I'll take the Amex and a punch in the balls, please
.

3 comments:

Aunt So-So said...

Brilliant! I didn't realize that they offered a punch in the balls. Must be in small print. It's not fair to those of us who don't have male genitalia. Nice of you to include Andy Rooney's picture in the sentence. I thought you just forgot to punctuate. It's also brilliant that a picture of Tina Fey bending over exists on the interweb.

LMP said...

1. AmEx doesn't charge us a fee, and we always use up all our skymiles. But not Macy's. Macy's can go to HELL for all I care.

2. Why have I not already put Tina Fey on my list of women for whom I'd go gay? I love her!

Aunt So-So said...

1. I once too had an AmEx but not everywhere takes it so I had to carry an emergency card. I also got annoyed with them for another reason I won't get into here.

2. ME TOO, ME TOO! I LOVE Tina Fey!