Sunday, October 11, 2009

Programming


I am very glad I did not choose Computer Science or Computer Engineering as my major. My Numerical Methods class is a close to a programming class as I care to venture. Here's what I'm doing right now:

"Problem 9.16: Develop, debug, and test a program in either a high-level language or macro language of your choice to multiply two matrices - that is, [X]=[Y][Z], where [Y] is m by n and [Z] is n by p. Test the program using the matrices from Prom. 9.2."

This is something that - though complicated - I can do without much trouble by hand, but programming this is a nightmare. I've spent hours trying to map it out on paper, and I just can't figure it out. Where's my ah-ha moment?! I'm using Matlab because it is the most friendly environment of which I know to work. Of course, Matlab, graphing calculators, and a million other languages have code I could look at for ideas, but muscling through this stuff usually provides the best understanding of what the computer is doing.

Too much of this class is devoted to writing programs that have already been written better than I ever could.

1 comment:

Topher said...

You're just jealous that you don't get to do this every day...