Saturday, August 15, 2009

Expenditures

This past Christmas, my dad gave me his fathers old camera case full of specialty lenses, an old Nikkormat EL, and Grandpa's Nikon F. Sonya and I were so excited. I planned on taking a film class, but free-time being essentially nonexistent, I just have not had the chance. The cameras and lenses have been sitting in my closet until Thursday when Sonya said, "I want a digital SRL." I told her that before we jumped into that I'd like to see if there was a model that fit those lenses. So after a little research, I discovered the Nikon D60. The reviews I've read have all been positive, and the only issue that has been raised is that none of the automatics features work. That is really no issue because the images are instantly reviewable, and the camera display has the handy feature of highlighting overexposed areas. Snap a picture, check the picture, adjust the f-stop, and keep shooting. Awesome. Here's a picture of my office since I've done some rearranging.
You can see the windows appear overexposed, but the room is dark in the top image. I have complete control over these subtleties which I have never experienced before. Here is where I sat in the Cessna 504 with Pilot Leslie O. Kagey giving me the evil eye. I can't tell if he's kidding.


The fish eye distortion is pretty obvious in all these shots. I love this lens! Here's a shot with the Nippon micro lens. I'm sure my dad was taking pictures of coins with this lens, but I really like the depth you get when taking pictures of subjects with a little more distance.

The next few shots are with the automatic lens that came with the camera. They look pretty darn good, and the snapshot quality of our old Olympus 5 mega pixel camera is still not as severe on the Nikon.


This is Ramona eyeing Sonya's Father's food. That is the other big news. Pipo is here! I better go downstairs and enjoy some cafe' with the rest of the family.

1 comment:

Aunt So-So said...

Ramona looks posessed as she eyes that sandwich. :|