Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Brain Break


There is nothing cool about phase diagrams; they are as boring as they sound. They are more boring than watching grass grow because I don't have to read a chart about all the minutia that happens at each step of grass-growth. I don't care about the crystal structures that pop up when Austenite is cooled through an alpha+gamma phase, through the eutectic isotherm, and into Cementite. Oooh, look, Pearlite. Isn't that so pretty?! No, it's obnoxious. Materials Science falls under that special category of classes that is so general that its useless. The needed information will either be covered in specific classes or simply read from a chart. Arg!! I'm sure I'll appreciate the class once I'm done, but right now, studing for finals, ...ick.

thanks dad and Cory for the great picture!

2 comments:

Topher said...

No! Phase diagrams are cool! My dissertation has a phase diagram in it, and I get to talk all about the Coulomb phase, the Higgs phase, and the Confined phase, which of course everyone loves. How can you not love them!?!??!

Although I agree about MatSci.

LMP said...

It's funny to see Topher's comment here because I was coming in here to point out that, like all the mathy things you love so much you could pretty much marry them, someone loves Phase diagrams. And there he is.